As I mentioned last week, I’ve been feeling a little quiet these days. It’s been awhile since I’ve picked up my camera and made something delicious. Dinner in our household has consisted of a lot of Chipotle veggie bowls, or eggs on whatever random hodge podge of vegetables I have around. I haven’t been exercising besides yoga, and I feel like I’ve said a lot about that lately, so I’ll spare you (FOR NOW). I haven’t been addressing this last 36 pounds I’d like to lose, and while I haven’t gained weight, I’m not reaching my healthy goals the way I’d like to. The end of the school year is here, so I’m wrapping that up, while simultaneously LOSING MY DANG MIND over grad school. I’m exhausted.
Summer break is a mere four weeks away, and while I’m definitely planning on having fun, I’m also really aware that I need a break. I feel like I’ve been running myself ragged for four months and that needs to stop. I’ve been asking myself big questions about where I’m putting my energy and what it is I really want and how to do it. They’re hard questions to answer, and ones I’m not totally sure about. I’m not unhappy by any stretch of the imagination, there are just aspects of my life I’m unsure of. I’ve been compiling a list of the things I really want to do, and the things I’m willing to let go of in order to make those other things happen.
In the interest of accountability/self-care/reminder to myself when I’m over-committing myself to everything in the world this summer, I thought I’d write out a few goals I have as I transition into summer break:
- Sleep. I am so tired. So very tired. One of the things I have a hard time with during summer is not feeling guilty about napping and really resting a lot. I’m making it my goal this summer to never feel tired.
- Exercise. I miss cardio, both the elliptical and swimming. I’m excited to get back into a workout routine that doesn’t just involve yoga. I love yoga more than anything, but I also know that my body needs more than just yoga to be really strong and healthy.
- Reading. I miss reading so much. I have been doing a little, but I want to tear through books this summer, the way I did when I was little.
- Clean(er) eating. I’ve been doing really well, actually. For the first time in my life, I haven’t been turning to food when I’m stressed. HOWEVER. I’ve been a little carb heavy, been drinking way too many soy mochas and I’m getting bored. I want to commit to getting back into the kitchen to play with delicious food and of course, to shoot it for this blog. I miss showing what I’ve been making and making really yummy stuff. I also miss having people over to share delicious food and to enjoy my time in the kitchen, rather than feeling stressed.
- Investigate yoga teaching. I taught my first class last weekend (!) and I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever been happier doing something. It felt right and I enjoyed it so much. I’m checking out a few options of where/how I can teach and I’m excited that it’s a possibility. I’m also planning on doing some additional training in the fall and I’m really excited about that.
- Practice yoga. One of the things I’m the actual most excited about is getting to practice even more. I find the time on my mat to be my best reset button, and I’m so stoked to have the time to enjoy practice and not just cram it in to random times.
That’s it. I forsee summer as a time to rest, exercise, cook, read and care for me and the goals I’m setting for myself. It all starts four weeks from tomorrow, but rest assured, I plan on getting a jump on a few of those things above.
Do you have any summer goals?