I try not to talk too much about my relationship with Andrew on this blog, partly because that’d be a little boring, and mostly because my relationship with him is really sacred and special to me.
Today, Andrew turns 30. I’m glad because I won’t have to deal with his jokes about dating an “older woman” any more, but also because it gives me an excuse to write about him here.
Here are 30 reasons I love Andrew, in honor of his 30th birthday!
- Andrew is a legitimately nice person. Much nicer than I am.
- Andrew is the kind of smart that’s extreme and impressive, and yet…
- He is never conceited about the fact above; he’s insanely humble about his intelligence.
- Andrew is not afraid to do what makes Andrew happy and works actively to enjoy his life.
- He encourages me to unabashedly seek the same joy and is always willing to help me get there.
- Andrew is willing to try new things.
- He is practical, but incredibly generous.
- Andrew listens to things that I know he doesn’t care about at all: blogger stories, work stuff, my every yoga thought — and he asks intelligent questions and listens.
- When I make Andrew really laugh, he claps and throws his head back and it’s adorable.
- He pretends not to like the cat, but I know that secretly, he really loves him and it’s the cutest.
- Andrew finds articles that I’ll be interested in and sends them to me.
- He is incredibly kind to my friends. Always.
- Andrew is interested in the world around him and that makes him interesting to talk to — I always learn new things from him.
- I feel totally safe, loved and cared for when I am with him.
- I often say that Andrew is the most yogi non-yogi I know: he is naturally calm and good at seeing the big picture.
- He is the first person to call me out when I’m being ridiculous, but does it in a way that makes me feel loved and not defensive.
- Andrew is an awesome brother and seeing his relationship with his sister is really special.
- He also loves my family genuinely. It’s a joy.
- Andrew is an awesome travel partner and I LOVE going places with him.
- He is the perfect balance to my Type-A personality and reminds me to take it down a notch and enjoy.
- Even after five and a half years, he still surprises me.
- Andrew is totally into self-improvement and growth, and it’s inspiring to be with someone who is always trying to get better.
- He makes me laugh every single day.
- Andrew is my strongest and most loyal advocate, always.
- He is the most supportive partner in every sense of the word — if I want something, he encourages me wholeheartedly in every way he can.
- Andrew is the best gift-giver I have ever known — thoughtful and simultaneously generous and practical.
- Even when he is incredibly busy, he always makes time for date night.
- He is affectionate.
- When I walk into a room, Andrew lets me know he’s happy to see me.
- Andrew is sensitive, sweet and a lot of other mushy adjectives, and yet, I am well-aware that not very many people see this side of him, so I feel extra-special, because I get this piece of him that no one else does.
Happy Birthday, Andrew. I love you more than I can express, and I’m grateful every day to get to share my life with you.